Sunday, February 21, 2016

My Personal Table of Contents

My Personal Table of Contents


One of my big projects I'm working on is building my commonplace notecard system.
While researching what a commonplace was I came across an article about defining your personal table of contents  {edit- link fixed   copy of the old article / his new revised article}.

So I sat down with a notebook and pen and listed all the things that I blog about, that I pin on Pinterest, and that I'm interested in.
Many things were repeats as I blog about the same topics that I pin.
I whittled the list down to some main categories, but I know I will add more as I build my commonplace.
Then I printed templates for index card dividers; I cut them out from colored paper and white cardstock that I color coded with markers.

Here is my current list of dividers I use for my commonplace {each group has it's own color}:

Crit        -for cards I'm thinking of changing
Junk        -for cards I'm thinking of removing
Tough        -for cards I can't choose a category for
Program        -plans for specific cards
Unnassimilated    -holding zone for new cards that need to be placed

Passwords

My Life        -cards to help me organize events, and the little things in my life to make photobooks etc
My Life- each year    -I found a website that makes 4x6 yearly calendars to print https://www.calendarsquick.com/printables/download.html?action=indexCardMonthly
People I know

Books        -I'm going to take notes from things i watch for ideas, and I want to track what I have watched etc
Movies
TV

My Projects
My Creations    -crafts that I've done
My Fiction Books
My Nonfiction Books   
Photobook Projects

Blog- writing "My Inner Workings"    -blog post ideas, etc

Create Your Own Life

Biz
Venues
Etsy
Craft Fairs
Ebay
Handmade News
Getting Started
Branding
Shop Design
Website Design
In the Office
Finances
Shipping
Marketing
Etsy Tools
Behind the Scenes
Creative Biz Binder Library
Biz- Photography
Blogging
Printables
Vlogging
In the Studio
Passive Products
Passions
Suppliers & Supplies

Writing
How to write a book
Planning a Story
Writing- Nonfiction
Memoirs
Story Parts- Characters
Story Parts- Plot
Story Parts- Setting
Story Parts- Style
Story Parts- Themes
Story Parts- Tone + Mood
Editing
Designing a Book
Author Branding
Printing + Publishing
Promote- Book Marketing
Prompts
Places
Writing Inspiration- Characters
Writing Inspiration- Moods
Writing Inspiration- Setting
Writing Inspiration- Objects
Writing Inspiration- Quotes
Writing Inspiration- Plots

Decor
Studio-Craftroom
Preppers
Homemaking
Household Notebook
Homesteading
Gardening

1 comment:

  1. Link to Doug Toft's article on the Web Archive

    https://web.archive.org/web/20160810151850/https://dougtoft.net/2016/07/19/frameworks-for-your-ideas-your-big-table-of-contents/

    ReplyDelete